sábado, 23 de julio de 2016

Reading Diary: Engaging Conflict. Cypis

Reading Diary:  Engaging Conflict. Cypis

As a photographer (originally) I am aware of the visual characteristics of a given space like light, dimensions, color, etc. I also understand how this properties can portray a message of power, comfort, security, or a set of predispositions. This is of course, independent of what its being told inside a room or a space. In relation to media, Marshall McLuhan said “The medium is the message”, which translates well into this context. I would add, the room is the first message. 
I have never researched or read about mediation, conflict and empathy. It seemed to me that my work hasn’t needed, at least directly. But even if you are not engaging directly in mediation practices, it seems vey important to incorporate or at least practice these set of tools: Roland Barthes’ notion of being “twice fascinated” seems extremely useful when interviewing someone, directing actors and when studying social phenomena on the site.
If you are doing documentary film, for example, you have to be aware of the room or place where you are performing the interview but you have to be empathic as well. And if I understood well, empathy starts with a recognition of yourself. It is important that you explore your prejudices, understand why are you doing what your doing in order to become fascinated for the first time. The second will follow later, hopefully. 
From what I understand, research in art practices demands you with the capacity of de-attaching yourself from your practice to think and be critical, just to come back into a personal level. It is another form of being “twice fascinated”.

Regarding conflict, one question came to my mind: how is conflict defined? what is conflict? Does it arises from a extreme position of disagreement only? or from a position of great emotional distress? I guess not only, but it is not clear to me what constitutes as conflict and to what degree. I ask this because it is seems that other interactions, personal or professional, like collaborations in art, could present positions of conflict where empathy could be useful. 

It is hard to argue against empathy, even though some people with a lot of power seem to be pushing against it.

No hay comentarios:

Publicar un comentario