sábado, 23 de julio de 2016

Reading Diary: Wanderings, Musings and the Art of getting Lost. Casbarian

Reading Diary:  Wanderings, Musings and the Art of getting lost. Casbarian

I will start writing this knowing that I might not have read every page of the required texts (I'll explain why). I noticed that some of the pdf are chapters from the same book like Wunderlust by Rebecca Solnit, others are excerpts from different sources. I'm part of a confused generation that can't decide if it is better to read out of xerox copies and make annotations with my marker, or if I should read in the screen or the ipad. I printed some and read others in their electronic version. Because of this, I jumped from one text to the next without thinking about the logic behind the syllabus. In any case, I don't understand the logic, so I read like if I was walking. I wondered through the texts enjoying myself a lot, like I enjoy walking. I didn't know Nietzsche was a walker/worker. Richard Long, Solnit, Thoreau, Debord and Cildo Miereles, who I believe is not in the texts and he is a daily walker). My parents named me Emilio, in part because of Rousseau's walks in the forest.  
I believe to be a good walker, a city walker. Not necessarily a situationist kind of walker. I don't have much of an agenda like Rousseau did (until he didn't). Not a flânuer either. Sometimes I need to get from A to B, and most occasions, I don't. But I have always associated walking with thinking. Thinking clearly, thinking loud. But above all, walking gives you total authority over everything that can be thought of. While walking you can think about almost everything, you are the expert. Walking as the democratization of thinking. I heard a chef once talking about how the potato made us all equally: We all eat potatos! - he said. 

I has been part of my practice to think about the derive in connection to new media and the Internet. It does not present the same poetical possibilities. But it present us with a chance of re-defining the critical possibilities of going-a-drift. If we are to become digital walkers, lets be critical about it.

I'll continue soon....







No hay comentarios:

Publicar un comentario